“The future needs origins.”
Subject chair: Birgit Scheiter (Sche)
Subject council Latin
Latin or French?
Latin is not a dead language. Latin leads…
- to a more conscious approach to German as a mother tongue or second language.
- to the training of the ability to express oneself in German.
- to a better understanding and handling of foreign and technical words.
- to easier learning of many European languages, as they are derived from Latin.
- to an acquaintance with the political and cultural history of Europe – it is still effective today! (Roman law)
- to a better understanding of the present by comparing it with antiquity, a very different world.
- to acquire knowledge of Latin (Latinum) as a requirement for access to certain courses of study.
… in a few words:
- The language of instruction is German.
- Latin is spoken as it is written; therefore there are hardly any pronunciation and spelling problems.
- It is translated from Latin into German. The Latin texts are examined and analysed in detail.
- The Latin texts are read, interpreted and related to the students’ own world.
- Integration of digital media.
Our subject curriculum provides a detailed insight:
Subject curriculum Latin
Latin does not only take place in the classroom.
We go on trips and excursions to: Xanten, Cologne, Kalkriese, Haltern am See, Focke Museum Bremen, Kunsthalle Kiel, Helmsmuseum Hamburg, Bucerius Kunstforum Hamburg and attend court hearings.
We also visit the cinema, theatre or opera.
We take a closer look at Itzehoe’s city history by deciphering Latin inscriptions, working out city tours and studying Latin sources.
Finally, cooking Roman dishes together is also part of the programme.When do you have which Latin certificate?
1) Certamen Cimbricum: http://www.certamen-cimbricum.de/
2) Certamen Creativum: https://www.dav-nord.de/wettbewerbe/certamen-creativum
|Mrs Göbel||Greek, Performing Arts (Drama)|
|Mr Reinke||Music lessons|
|Mrs. Scheiter||Protestant Religion|
Teaching principles: subject requirements and curricula
Useful external websites